Aunty Ourania’s apple cake recipe has been in my family for many years now. It’s a great way of using up those apples in the fruit bowl which may be slightly past their best. Unfortunately I don’t know where my aunt got the recipe, though I should add that my aunt lives in New Jersey, USA, which means we also call it ‘American Apple cake’….
Aunty Ourania’s apple cake
Makes 1 Bundt/Ring cake.
3 eating apples eg Braeburn, peeled and sliced.
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
juice of 2 oranges
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tbsp vanilla extract.
1. Place the apple slices in a shallow bowl and add the cinnamon and a quarter cup of the sugar. Set aside.
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients.
3. Oil the bundt tin, place half of the cake mix in the pan, top with half of the sliced apples.
4. Cover with the remaining mixture, then the rest of the apples and any remaining cinnamon sugar.
5. Bake for about 45-60 mins at 180deg.C (Fan Oven 160deg.C)
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.