Based on a Nigella Lawson recipe, which is in turn based on a recipe by Claudia Roden. This is a mouth wateringly zesty, moist cake which improves by leaving overnight, if you can leave it alone that long!
1. Place 1 lg orange and 2 lemons in a heatproof bowl, cover with water, then cover the bowl with either clingfilm or a plate. Cook on full power for 20 minutes. Alternatively boil the fruit, covered in water for 2 hrs. Your choice.
2. Carefully halve the fruit, remove as many pips as you can, then whizz in a food processor until smooth, skin and all.
3. Mix together 225g sugar with 6 eggs.
4. Add the pureed fruit, 250g ground almonds and 1 heaped tsp baking powder.
5. Place into a buttered and lined 21cm springform tin.
6. Bake at 170 deg.C fan oven, gas mark 5 for about 1hr, you may need to cover it after 40 minutes as it browns very easily.
7. When cold, remove from tin, make a glaze by adding a little orange and lemon juice to icing sugar. I also added a drop of orange flower water
(Hey, you can take the girl out of Cyprus…….)
And cover the cake.
Beautiful. And the Greekest non-Greek cake I’ve ever tasted! Does that make sense…..;)