I’ve been absent for a little while, but am glad to be back with this traditional Cypriot family recipe.
Rice Pilafi with pork belly is ideal for a simple, delicious midweek meal.
And all done in one pan, in under an hour.
Rice Pilafi with Pork Belly
Pork belly slices (1-2 per person)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup toasted vermicelli noodles (in short threads)
3 tbsp garlic oil
2 cups long- grain rice
200g chopped tomatoes (tinned is fine)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Place the pork belly slices, in a single layer, in a large oven pan.
2. Sprinkle with the garlic oil.
3. Bake for 30 mins at 180deg. C until lightly browned.
4. Add the chopped onion, vermicelli noodles, rice, tomatoes, cinnamon, salt and pepper and about 5 cups of boiling water.
5. Stir around a little, so that the rice grains are submerged under the liquid and the belly slices are on top (no need to be too precise!) 🙂
6. Bake for an additional 30-40 mins until the belly slices are nicely browned, the water has evaporated and the rice grains are cooked and tender.
7. Serve with Greek yoghurt. And maybe a fresh Greek salad.